Saturday, March 6, 2010

guessing game

Smiling PastaI sometimes switch between watching Mandarin TV with or without English translated subtitles.  If the program uses a lot of Taiwanese–then I’ll watch it subtitled (if I can find the subtitles).  If the vocabulary seems way above my head, then I’ll go for the subtitles as well.  Otherwise, I take my luck with the Mandarin-only.  And it’s usually awesome.

Regardless, I try to pick up whatever I can from just listening to the drama or movie.  Lately, I’ve been playing a new “guessing” game.

Here’s the game:

  1. Pick a drama, movie, or music video.
  2. Find a YouTube video with English language subs (if your reading level is high, try to find one without the Mandarin captions).
  3. Watch part of the video on silent.
  4. Read the English subs.
  5. Guess what it would be in Mandarin.
  6. Listen to see if your guess was correct.

If I’m up for more of a reading challenge, I look for the non-translated version.  But instead of reading the English subs (step 4), I just read the Mandarin captions without the sound.  Then after a few minutes, I go back to see if I was right about pronouncing some of the harder words.

It’s a fun game (and quite educational)!

[Via http://twpopcultureblog.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment